Camp Abilities Saratoga is a sports camp for children who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind (interpreters will be provided). Campers must be between the ages of 10 and 16 who are verbal and independent in self care.
Full Week Camper Eligibility Requirements
The following is a list of eligibility criteria for a child to attend Camp Abilities Saratoga. Please read carefully before registering your child for Camp Abilities Saratoga.
Children who attend Camp Abilities Saratoga must possess the following in order to participate:
- They have a visual impairment (must have a vision teacher).
- They are predominantly independent (helping with tying shoes, bathing, toileting, or picking clothes is fine);
- They possess verbal or sign communication skills appropriate within 2 years of their age;
- They display behaviors that allow them to function in a group setting that does not affect other group members:
- Does NOT run away (This is a college campus and this behavior is dangerous for everyone. Any child who runs away will be sent home immediately!)
- No kicking
- No biting
- No displays of defiant behavior (This includes, but is not limited to the following: refusal to stand in a line, refusal to participate in a variety of activities, refusal to abide by the bed time rules, etc.)
- They do not possess a medical problem that requires a nurse for constant supervision. (We only have 3 nurses and with over 20 campers we cannot afford to have a child that requires all of their time;)
- *Parents must disclose ALL necessary information that will allow us to provide a safe environment for the child’s week at Camp Abilities Saratoga.
Athletes will be ineligible, and be sent home if they display the following:
- Runaway/fleeing behaviors;
- Biting/scratching/hitting behaviors;
- Medical needs that require constant nursing supervision or communicable diseases;
- Defiant or conduct disorders;
- Mobility limitations that prohibit them from ambulating 1/2 mile or inability to participate in the sport activities.
If you have any questions related to the above criteria please contact the director, Tiffany Suppes by sending her an e-mail or by calling (585) 749-6851.
If you know that your child is not eligible, please consider other camps. WE, THE ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF AT CAMP ABILITIES SARATOGA, RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEND YOUR CHILD HOME IF THE CONDITIONS OF CAMP ELIGIBILITY ARE NOT MET.
Single Day Camper Eligibility Requirements
The Single Day Camper program provides the younger child with the opportunity to sample a typical day at Camp Abilities. Single Day Campers must be between ages 5 and 9 and be visually impaired or blind. They attend camp for a single day designated on the registration form. A parent or guardian must attend for the entire day as well.
Single Day Campers will spend the day with a camper/counselor pair and will participate in the sports programs for the day as well as having lunch with the campers.
Single Day Campers are expected to meet the criteria listed above for campers. If you have any questions related to the above criteria please contact the director, Tiffany Suppes by sending her an e-mail or by calling (585) 749-6851.
Counselor Registration Requirements
- Need to be 18 or older to volunteer;
- Need to be involved in a related field of study;
- Need recommendation from past or current professor or from a Camp Specialist.